Graduate Programs in Peace Psychology

PsySRStudents are increasingly interested in possibilities for graduate training in peace psychology. Although peace psychology programs are rare, some political psychology, social psychology, and conflict resolution programs allow a student to create an individualized emphasis in peace psychology.

We offer the following advice to anyone who wants to pursue graduate work in peace psychology. Contact psychologists who teach in graduate programs and do research on peace and conflict issues to see if they would consider the possibility of supporting your desire to do a specialization and dissertation in peace psychology. The best strategy might be to skim back issues of relevant journals (e.g., Political Psychology, Peace and Conflict, Journal of Conflict Resolution, etc.), as well as books on peace and conflict issues, in order to identify some people who have done research that looks interesting to you. Then, write to those individuals and describe your own interests and objectives. Ask whether they might be in a position to assist you and whether their institutions have graduate programs that would allow you to pursue your interests and goals.

Ph.D. Programs

The Psychology Department at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst offers a new Ph.D. concentration in the Psychology of Peace and the Prevention of Violence (more information HERE). Clark University offers a Ph.D. in social psychology with a specialization in peace psychology (contact Dr. Joe DeRivera at [email protected]). Social Psychology Ph.D. students can also specialize in peace psychology at the University of California at Santa Cruz (contact Phillip Hammack at [email protected]). While Boston University does not have a peace psychology program, Kathie Malley-Morrison is interested in working with graduate students who wish to pursue peace psychology (contact her at [email protected]).

Various Ph.D. and M.A. programs are offered by the Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies at Notre Dame. For example, it is possible to pursue a Ph.D. in psychology and peace studies through a cooperative program between the Psychology Department at the University of Notre Dame and the Kroc Institute. Contact [email protected].

Teachers College at Columbia University offers courses and practicum on negotiation, mediation, conflict theories, intercultural communication, etc. that may be applied towards relevant Masters and Doctoral degrees at Columbia (contact Mekayla Castro at [email protected]). Teachers College at Columbia also offers a concentration in peace education at the masters and doctoral levels (contact Monisha Bajaj at [email protected]). At Cornell University, doctoral students may choose to minor in peace studies after acceptance into a traditional disciplinary field. The University of Cincinnati offers the Ph.D. in Peace Education.

George Mason University offers M.S. and Ph.D. programs in Conflict Resolution, and Nova Southeastern University in Florida offers M.S. and Ph.D. programs in Conflict Analysis and Resolution in both residential and online formats.

Masters Degree Programs

Georgetown University offers an M.A. in Conflict Resolution (contact Fathali Moghaddam at [email protected]). The University of Massachusetts at Boston offers a Graduate Certificate and an M.A. in Dispute Resolution (more information HERE). Eastern Mennonite University has an M.A. program in Conflict Transformation (contact Janelle Myers-Benner at [email protected]). Brandeis University offers an M.A. in Coexistence and Conflict (contact Anne Gudaitis at [email protected]).

Lesley College in Cambridge offers a specialty in Conflict Resolution and Peaceable Schools within their Master of Education program in Curriculum and Instruction. American University has a dual Masters Degree program in Secondary Education and International Peace and Conflict Resolution. The University for Peace in Costa Rica offers a masters degree in Peace Education (contact Dr. Abelardo Brenes ([email protected]).

The Rotary Centers for International Studies in Peace and Conflict Resolution ( partners with ten universities to sponsor fellowships for M.A. programs in peace studies. The Program on Forced Migration and Health is an M.P.H. degree program offered by the Mailman School of Public Health at Columbia University that emphasizes psychosocial interventions in humanitarian settings (contact Lindsay Stark at [email protected]).

Directories of Graduate Peace Studies and Conflict Resolution Programs

There are also lists and descriptions of graduate peace studies and conflict resolution programs with links to them HERE and HERE.

The Peace Education Project would like to improve our ability to inform students about opportunities for graduate training in peace psychology. Please send us information about relevant graduate programs, and we will add your input to this resource. If you can help with this, please contact co-chair Linden Nelson at at [email protected].